Applicants are invited to implement for a St Andrews–Max Planck PhD Studentship in Demography / Population Studies financed by the University of St Andrews as well as the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR). The PhD pupil will probably be working on fertility in high income nations.
The objectives of the project are to analyse fertility trends and designs in a variety of high income / European nations and also to inquire social and contextual determinants of fertility, while possibly also using subnational spatial variation.
The Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR) in Rostock is among the top demographic research centres in the world. At the MPIDR, research workers from all around the globe inquire demographic change, ageing, fertility, biological demography as well as other problems in the vanguard of citizenry research.
Course Level: Studentship can be obtained to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject: Studentship is given in Demography / Population Studies.
Scholarship Award: During the span in the UK, the St Andrews–Max Planck PhD studentship will cover:
- A maintenance grant of £14,553 per year (in the 2017/18 academic year, subject to improve annually according to the ESRC rules and regulations);
- A research training support grant (RTSG) of £750 per year; and
- Tuition fee to the quantity of a standard fee for UK/EU pupils (£4,195 in the 2017/18 academic year).
During the span in Germany, the PhD pupil will receive: 1) A contract amounting to some gross wages of about €21,944 per year; and 2) Financial support for traveling, research training, and data acquisition.
Number of Scholarships: Not Known
Scholarship may be considered in Germany
Eligibility: The following standards should be fulfilled in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Students with the outstanding master’s degree (first class or upper secondary in the UK) or the same national qualification in any area of social sciences including statistics and applied mathematics.
Nationality: UK/EU pupils qualify to use for this studentship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have master’s degree (first class or upper secondary in the UK).
English language Requirements: Applicants whose first language isn’t English are normally necessary to supply evidence of ability in English at the larger amount needed by the University.
How to Apply: Students must submit an application to Mrs Helen Olaez in the SGSD Postgraduate Office (ho10-at-st-andrews.ac.uk) by 5th of June 2017 for thought. Please comprise ‘St Andrews–Max Planck PhD studentship’ in the subject line of your e-mail. The complete program consists of:
- A simple research proposal on fertility in one or several high income nations (max two pages), which summarizes the reasoning and circumstance for the suggested study, and data and methods to be used;
- An academic CV (max two pages) including information of two referees; and
- Copies of transcripts of undergraduate and master’s degrees.
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is June 5, 2017.