The Centre for Law Society, Gujarat National Law University is arranging the 2nd variant of the GNLU Essay Competition on Law and Society, a national-level essay contest, in cooperation with all the Chambers of Ratan K. Singh and under the capable guidance of Prof. Upendra Baxi.
The motif of the contest is Toward Empowering the Indian Woman: Legal Reforms and Implementation.
The following sub-themes have been identified as needing academic thought in the Indian context:
- One Step into a Temple, a Giant Leap for Womankind?: Women’s Right to Enter Places of Worship
- Changing Tides of Indian Surrogacy Laws: Miscarriage of Law?
- Balancing Work and Motherhood: Desultory Reforms?
- Lifting the Veil: Muslim Women and Personal Laws
- Welfare Schemes for Women in India: A Paper Tiger?
- Women’s Ease of Doing Business: Evaluation of Sexual Harassment Prevention Laws in India
- Mediation as a Panacea for Women
Category: Law Students
- 1st Prize – INR 15,000/ Internship at Luthra & Luthra Law Offices
- 2nd Prize – INR 7,500/ Internship at Aarna Law Advocates
- 3rd Prize – INR 2,500/ Internship at LawLex
Category: Non-law Students
- 1st Prize – INR 15, 000/ Internship at Centre for Social Research
- 2nd Prize – INR 7, 500/ Internship at ActionAid
- 3rd Prize – INR 2 , 500/ Internship at Centre for Social Justice
The aforementioned victor and the writers of finest entries under each sub-subject will likely be offered a Certificate Course by Enhelion on “Preventing Sexual Harassment at the Workplace”.
Additionally, Certificates of Participation will likely be issued to any or all participants and victor.
Eligibility: The contest is open to all undergraduate and postgraduate students registered in any subject in an established University/ College/ Institute in India. Co-authorship with a maximum of 2 pupils is allowed.
Word Limit: 3000 – 5000 words, not including footnotes.
Submission Deadline: April 16, 2017