Undergraduate and graduate college students are invited to take part in the AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition Essay Competition. This essay competitors was created to encourage college students to discover connections between human rights and science, engineering and the well being professions. Students might write on any matter on the intersection of science and/or expertise with human rights.
- The competitors is open to all undergraduate and graduate college students presently enrolled in a level program.
- Students could also be enrolled in any self-discipline. Students enrolled in life science, bodily science, social science, well being, engineering or arithmetic packages are particularly inspired to take part.
- Students could also be enrolled in any accredited faculty or university. There isn’t any geographic restriction.
- Submissions ought to be written in the type of an analytical or vital paper that raises thought-provoking questions. For instance, potential essay subjects would possibly embody: the functions of a scientific method or a brand new expertise to handle particular human rights issues; an evaluation of synergies between human rights obligations and the social obligations of scientists, engineers and/or well being professionals; or the methods in which full implementation of the suitable to get pleasure from the advantages of scientific progress might affect realization of different human rights. These examples are solely supplied to spark concepts: college students are inspired to put in writing essays that replicate their very own concepts, pursuits, and insights.
- Papers written for programs are eligible, however all papers have to be the unique, unpublished work of a person scholar.
- Each scholar might submit just one essay.
- Entries have to be submitted on-line by the essay competitors web site, which can be open from 1 April 12:00 am EDT to 30 April 11:59 pm EDT. Late submissions won’t be accepted.
- Essays ought to be not more than 1,500 phrases in size.
- A whole bibliography ought to be included, if applicable. The bibliography and/or footnotes won’t depend in the direction of the phrase restrict.
- Essays ought to be typed and double-spaced, in an simply readable font (reminiscent of Times New Roman), with 1” margins.
- All pages should embody the title of the essay and web page numbers.
- Submissions can be judged anonymously so please don’t embody any personally figuring out info (identify, university) in the essay doc.
- Essays have to be submitted in English.
Essay Judging Essays can be evaluated for:
- Writing high quality and readability;
- Analysis and reasoning;
- Originality and creativity;
- Depth of information and consciousness of necessary human rights points and scientific challenges; and
- Compliance with the essay competitors necessities. Judges for the competitors can be drawn from among the many representatives of AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition Member Associations, in addition to Affiliated Individual members of the Coalition. Prominent scientists and engineers from outdoors the Coalition membership and skilled human rights advocates will even be invited to function judges.
Prizes can be awarded in the next classes: 1) Undergraduate scholar and a pair of) Graduate scholar. The profitable college students can be acknowledged on the July 2017 assembly of the AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition. Winners of the competitors will obtain a yr of membership in AAAS and a one-year subscription to Science, in addition to a journey stipend to attend the Coalition’s assembly, generously supplied by the AAAS-Andrew M. Sessler Fund for Science, Education, and Human Rights. Students who obtain prizes can be requested to help AAAS stewardship of the Sessler Fund by offering suggestions about their expertise in the competitors. The profitable essays can be thought-about for publication in Professional Ethics Report, a quarterly publication of the AAAS Scientific Responsibility, Human Rights and Law Program.
How to Enter
- Submit your essay by the essay competitors web site which can be open April 1, 2017 by April 30, 2017. Website URL can be out there in 2017.
- The essay could also be submitted in both Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.